Monday, February 13, 2012

Healty Cookies?



This Blog
This Blog

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Healthy Cookies?

What's the point? If I'm going to eat a cookie, it should be good- full of butter and chocolate not light in calories and good for you. But this one is a little of both. Don't believe me? Try it yourself.
I discovered this recipe because I was looking for a low sugar/sugar free cookie for a little boy that I take care of. His parents don't eat a lot of sugar (one is diabetic) and I know they don't want him to either. I made a cookie - if you want to call it that- it was more like a saucer- from a healthy cookbook of theirs, but they only had whole wheat flour, date sugar, and margarine. If you bake at all you know those are not the greatest of ingredients to work with, especially if you're wanting it to taste good. I searched the web and found Sugarless Oatmeal Banana Cookies. They're not exactly "sugarless" though because bananas, raisins and milk all have sugar. I guess you could call them "No Sugar Added Oatmeal Banana Cookies" but that makes for a really long name. And besides I added chocolate chips to mine, so I added sugar. Oh, well.
Oatmeal Banana Cookies
  • 1/3 c. butter, softened
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 2 c. oats
  • 1/2 c. raisins
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 ripe bananas, mashed
Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl. Let stand for 5-10 minutes allowing the oats to soak up all the milk. Drop by tablespoon full onto a cookie sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees*. Allow to cool. Makes 2-3 dozen.
*NOTE: I baked the first batch at 350 for 15-20 minutes, but they didn't seem cooked all the way through, but they were getting too dark on the bottom. I did the next 2 batches at 325 for 25 minutes and they were much better. I would suggest this temp, but all ovens vary, so you'll just have to keep an eye them.
These are not your typical "cookies". They don't contain flour or leavening, so they won't rise or spread. They taste very much like banana bread. Even the texture is the same. I was pleasantly surprised by these "healthy" cookies. The family loved them.
Other additions (add 1/4 c of any of these to batter):
  • mini chocolate chips
  • chopped nuts
  • dried chopped fruit (cranberries, apricots, cherries)
  • shredded coconut

No comments:

Post a Comment